Garden & Landscape Expo Offers Spring-like Respite Feb. 10-12
January 31, 2023 Leave a Comment
As winter settles over Wisconsin, the 30th-annual PBS Wisconsin Garden & Landscape Expo brings a bit of spring-like warmth to the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, Feb. 10-12. Event hours are noon to 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 10; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 11 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 12.
Single-day tickets for Garden & Landscape Expo cost $8 in advance and $10 at the door. Children 12 and under are admitted free. Two-day passes are available for $13 in advance and $15 at the door. Three-day passes are available for $16 in advance and $18 at the door.
Advance ticket retail outlets are located conveniently around the state at various supporting businesses. A complete list is available at wigardenexpo.com. Visitors also can purchase advance tickets on the website through Feb. 8. There is an additional charge for parking at the Alliant Energy Center.
PBS Wisconsin hosts the community educational event and fundraiser in partnership with the University of Wisconsin-Madison Horticulture Division of Extension. All proceeds support PBS Wisconsin’s quality programming, educational initiatives and events that serve to enrich Wisconsin communities. Advance discounted tickets are available now at wigardenexpo.com.
This year’s event features the newest innovations in gardening and landscaping — with information and advice spread among lush green plants, colorful flowers, vibrant designs of spring, and delicious bounties from home gardens and Wisconsin farms.
Visitors are invited to explore the annual Garden & Landscape Expo Farmers Market 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 12. The Farmers Market features farmers, food artisans and local food retailers. Products available at the market include artisan cheeses and fresh cheese curds, heritage pork, beef, lamb, herbal tea, fine chocolates and more.
Highlights from this year’s event include:
- Over 200 exhibitor booths selling seeds, plants, landscaping services, books, tools, lawn equipment and other exciting merchandise for gardens and yards of all sizes.
- More than 125 free educational seminars and demonstrations on topics such as the best houseplants for Midwestern homes, gardening for aging and disability, growing indoor citrus trees, home-scale grain production, perennial garden care, foraging, food preservation, growing garlic in Wisconsin and much more.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Horticulture Division of Extension experts will be available to offer insight, plant identification and tips to gardeners and amateur landscapers of all levels.
- Garden Bistro – Open Friday from noon to 6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Located in the Atrium, the Garden Bistro will serve farm-to-table fare throughout the weekend, including salads, sandwiches and soups.
- PBS KIDS Nature Cat’s Backyard – Cultivate a love for gardening and the outdoors with your entire family in Nature Cat’s Backyard! In addition to a variety of educational gardening activities, the area will feature a swing set, basketball court, trampoline and putting green. Every day is “Family Day” at the Garden & Landscape Expo, with special highlights, including Nature Cat and Daniel Tiger meet and greets, throughout the weekend.
- Garden & Landscape Expo T-Shirts and Totes – Display your love of gardening and PBS Wisconsin with a Garden & Landscape Expo T-shirt and tote bag. T-shirts are $20 and tote bags are $22! Get yours at the PBS Wisconsin booth. Proceeds support PBS Wisconsin.
- The Garden & Landscape Expo Photography Contest brings another form of art, imagery and perspective to the event. See stunning work from Wisconsin amateur photographers capturing the natural beauty of the state. Attendees are encouraged to vote for their favorite photograph for the Viewers’ Choice Award, which will be announced at 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Captivating Color Standard Flower Show – All day Friday through Sunday. Presented by Madison District Garden Clubs, this year’s Standard Flower Show is titled Captivating Color. National Garden Clubs judges will evaluate exhibits and viewers are welcome to vote for their favorite each day of Garden & Landscape Expo.
- Floral Design Challenge – Saturday 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. on Demo Stage A. Based on the popular TV show Chopped, four Standard Flower Show judges will each simultaneously create a floral design without knowing what is in their “basket.” Designers will describe their inspiration and the audience will pick their favorite.
- Nonprofit organizations specializing in various plant species, rain gardens, rock gardens, conservation efforts and more will have booths to share their information.
- An exciting Garden & Landscape Expo raffle for prizes including landscape packages, equipment, decorations, tools and more. Raffle ticket proceeds support PBS Wisconsin.
For more details about the event, visit wigardenexpo.com. Special thanks to our event sponsors Wisconsin Greenhouse Company and Willy Street Co-op.