It’s Garden Expo Weekend!
February 9, 2012 Leave a Comment
Sure, it’s cold outside. But this weekend it is time to start thinking about Spring! Come on out to the 19th annual Garden Expo at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison. You will find the latest in lawns, gardens and landscapes, uncover new tips and tricks and get a step up on your gardening for the year. And, you’ll be supporting WPT programs along the way! Garden Expo runs 4-9 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday.
Here’s a few highlights of this year’s event. Find full details at wigardenexpo.com (including a coupon to save $1 off of admission Friday or Sunday!) Watch a video of previous Garden Expo highlights at the bottom of this post. Hope to see you there!
Highlights from this year’s event include:
• The 1,200 square-foot Wisconsin Landscape Contractors Association (WLCA) Central Garden.
• Hundreds of exhibitor booths selling seeds, plants, books, tools, lawn equipment and other exciting merchandise for gardens and yards of all sizes, along with nonprofit groups specializing in mulching, various plant species, rain gardens, rock gardens, conservation efforts and more.
• More than 100 free educational seminars and demonstrations on topics including lawns, gardens, landscape design and more.
• Hands-on workshops that allow gardeners to take home a finished garden decoration, craft or other project.
• A chance to meet Master Gardener Shelley Ryan, producer and host of WPT’s The Wisconsin Gardener.
• UW-Extension horticulture experts will be available to offer insight, plant identification, and tips to gardeners and amateur landscapers of all levels.
• An exciting Garden Expo raffle for prizes including landscape packages, equipment, decorations, tools and more.
The 2012 Garden Expo also features a number of exciting new events, including:
• The Wisconsin Gardener 20th Anniversary – Producer/Host Shelley Ryan celebrates 20 years of The Wisconsin Gardener. Ryan will host a commemorative panel session at 10 a.m. Saturday that will include Larry Meiller, host of Wisconsin Public Radio’s Garden Talk and several special guests who have been part of The Wisconsin Gardener during the first two decades.
• Wisconsin Foodie – Arthur Ircink and Kyle Cherek, producer and host of Wisconsin Foodie will greet visitors at the WPT booth from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, and will host two stage demonstrations at noon and 1 p.m. The Emmy-nominated television series is dedicated to discovering the stories behind the food we eat.
• Chickens! – Susan Troller, author of CLUCK: From Jungle Fowl to City Chicks, talks about the pleasures and pitfalls of gardening with chickens and introduces participants to a few of her favorite feathered friends at 1 p.m. Sunday. The discussion will be followed by a screening of the documentary Mad City Chickens and a discussion with the filmmakers.
• Garden to Table Dinner – WPT’s inaugural Garden to Table Dinner will be served on Saturday evening at Garden Expo. The fundraising event will feature a multi-course dinner made with local, farm-fresh ingredients. Arthur Ircink and Kyle Cherek, producer and host of Wisconsin Foodie will be on hand for an evening that will also include live music from the unique classical ensemble, Kat Trio. Tickets are $50 each and can be purchased at wigardenexpo.com.