The Special Projects Engineer (SPE) develops and implements engineering and computer systems and workflows that integrate broadcast, media and IT systems used by PBS Wisconsin to create and disseminate content to our statewide audience. This person works closely with staff engineers and producers to create the most effective technical solutions to production challenges. The SPE has a strong understanding of traditional broadcast systems, IT skills outside of the traditional broadcast sphere, and a deep drive to stay up to date on the latest evolving consumer and professional media technology. As part of a multi-faceted media organization, this position reports to the Chief of Engineering and Production Technology and is key to advancing the mission of PBS Wisconsin in serving the people of the state.
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Bachelor’s degree or technical certification in Broadcast Engineering, Electronic Technology or related field preferred.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Two years of hands-on technical experience with video and audio production including in-depth knowledge of audio and video recording and engineering for broadcast and/or digital distribution systems, and ability to setup and diagnose technical problems.
- Professional experience working with digital media formats related to capture, transport, post-production and broadcast standards.
- Professional experience working with video, audio and control systems for a television broadcast and digital dissemination production facility.
- Professional experience with IT hardware and software as required for the design, configuration and operation of audio and video production systems; knowledge of computer-aided design tools.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to non-technical staff.
- Strong organizational skills as evidenced by experience documenting systems and workflows, or experience multi-tasking while maintaining accuracy, efficiency and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, work independently and work in teams.
- Professional experience in media production environments that depend on tight deadlines and content delivery to audiences or stakeholders.
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Project management experience including PM models, software and systems.
- Experience operating studio or field production equipment
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds, climb ladders and work on elevated surfaces, pull and install wiring, and work on small electronic components.
- Experience with live event or performance productions
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations pertaining to broadcast compliance
- Ability to possess and maintain an unrestricted Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Design, create and document media and IT systems for successful execution of projects. Analyze and identify cost effective options to meet project requirements.
- Work with Operations, Engineering and Production teams to plan and coordinate timeline for commissioning of projects.
- Work with internal subject matter experts and vendors to resolve technical problems. Schedule any necessary logistics, secure resources, organize and monitor projects adhering to necessary timelines.
- Work with vendors to understand, lead, create and deliver computer hardware, software and media technology solutions that work for PBS Wisconsin. Coordinate commissioning, testing and release of critical systems.
- Work closely with Engineering team to ensure media technology systems integrate appropriately with the production facility and overall architectural design objectives of PBS Wisconsin.
- Manage and plan for upgrades on critical production/post-production related systems.
- Work closely with production related staff to enhance existing systems, workflow and processes. Communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff.
- Produce documentation on systems, networks, policies and procedures and communicate relevant changes to affected stakeholders.
- Train Engineering team and other relevant staff in systems and workflows; provide guidance in making technical design decisions. Identify training and professional development opportunities for Engineering team.
- Act as point of contact for urgent production technical support needs or system failure.
- Develop and maintain technical quality control standards for content creation and delivery to broadcast and online platforms.
- May do hands-on engineering operator shifts for studio or remote productions as needed.
Expected salary range for this position is mid to upper $50,000’s to mid $60,000’s for highly experienced candidates who exceed the qualifications. Actual pay and title will depend on experience and qualifications.
The occupant of this position is expected to comply with the Ethics for PBS Wisconsin Staff found at pbswisconsin.org/about/ as well as the UW Madison Code of Ethics.
This position also requires the ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume and a letter of interest that show how your experience and skills relate to the specific Principal Duties and Relevant Work Experience for this specific position.
As applicants progress to interviews, they will need to provide at least three professional references with titles, emails, and phone numbers (including at least one supervisory reference).
Apply online at https://jobs.wisc.edu/ by 11/25/2020. The job number is 228664. Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, PBS Wisconsin, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-263-0477.