The PBS Wisconsin Graphic Designer internship is designed for students currently enrolled in a two or four-year college or technical program, and is meant to prepare students of color, and those from other groups underrepresented in the design industry, for a successful career in graphic design.
PBS Wisconsin’s multifaceted Design Department creates graphic design, motion graphics, scenic design, animation and interactive design materials across the PBS Wisconsin organization. The Graphic Designer intern will receive close supervision and coaching as a professional in graphic design, increasingly receiving more project responsibility as professional growth is demonstrated.
- Be a part- or full-time student enrolled at a college/university, or technical/vocational program.
- Must have experience with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
- Demonstrate design knowledge and experience with layout, color, typography, and graphic elements.
- Experience working with photography and web assets is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with motion graphics, infographics, and kinetic typography is a plus.
- Graphic Design majors preferred, but not mandatory.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Creative and collaborative, with strong communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and meet deadlines.
POSITION SUMMARY/JOB DUTIES:
- Design and produce communication and promotional pieces for print, digital and television production projects for PBS Wisconsin. This includes designing promotional collateral, environmental graphics and signs, and social media, web and production assets.
- Gain experience and training by collaborating with design professionals across graphic design, motion graphics, animation, interactive, and scenic design.
- Collaborate with teams across the PBS Wisconsin organization.
- Work with Design Project Manager to order print materials and manage print vendors.
- Organize and archive project files appropriately.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Work up to 20 hours per week. Work will be done remotely for the foreseeable future. Exact hours and days are flexible based on class schedule and availability but should primarily be between the hours of Monday – Friday 9 AM – 6 PM CST. Ideal candidates would be available through the spring and summer 2021.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at https://studentjobs.hr.wisc.edu/en-us/listing/ by 1/15/21. The job number is 496945.
The following must be received for your application to be complete:
- A comprehensive resume
- A detailed cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications and why this internship meets your career development needs
- 3-5 graphic design work samples
- A list of three (3) professional references, including an email contact for each (references may be tied to your academic career)
Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, PBS Wisconsin, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-263-0477.