The Expo Manager is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing events for PBS Wisconsin and Friends of PBS Wisconsin, including Garden & Landscape Expo and Great Wisconsin Quilt Show. These annual fundraising and community engagement events each draw more than 20,000 attendees and include hundreds of vendors and volunteers. This position reports to the Special Events Manager and is part of the Development Department.
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, event management, communications, public relations, non-profit management or related field preferred.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
-Minimum of three years of experience in event planning and management.
-Experience building and managing complex, large-scale, multi-day events.
-Skill in developing and tracking budgets that meet or exceed fundraising goals.
-Experience supervising staff and volunteers.
-Success in developing and maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
-Experience with project management tools and database applications.
-Experience with event registration and ecommerce platforms.
-Experience in the development and delivery of marketing and communication materials.
1. Manage and direct all aspects of PBS Wisconsin’s Expo events including establishing strategic direction, budgeting, creating timelines, soliciting sponsorship support, and establishing and maintaining partnerships.
2. Develop systems for project management to coordinate the work and involvement of many departments across the station.
3. Supervise and manage the work of two Event Coordinators who oversee exhibitor registration and provide administrative support for the Expos.
4. Collaborate with Communications team to ensure that all event messages are consistent, accurate, effective, and coordinated with PBS Wisconsin’s strategic communication goals.
5. Oversee event registration, ticketing and customer service.
6. Collaborate with the Volunteer Manager to develop staffing needs and set volunteer roles and expectations.
7. Build and manage virtual event components in coordination with the in-person Expos to expand audience access and reach.
8. Provide support for other PBS Wisconsin fundraising and community engagement events.
Minimum $48,000 depending on qualifications
Expected salary range for this position is the $48,000-$58,000 range. Actual pay will depend on experience and qualifications. PBS Wisconsin offers a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation, sick leave, healthcare and pension.
The person in this position will be required to comply with the Ethics for PBS Wisconsin Editorial & Executive Staff located here (https://wisconsinpublictv.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Ethics-for-Editorial-Staff.pdf) in addition to the UW-Madison code of ethics.
This position typically works Monday through Friday 9:00-5:00, and some evenings and/or weekends for events. Additionally, the person in this position must be able to occasionally lift and carry heavy items and move throughout the event venue over several long days of set-up and during the event.
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Knowledge of and abides by prospect and fundraising research ethics (https://afpglobal.org/ethicsmain/code-ethical-standards).
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by July 7, 2021. The job number is 236097. The following must be received for your application to be complete: 1) Resume; 2) A cover letter describing how your experience relates to the job duties and minimum and desirable qualifications, specifically your experience with events.
As applicants progress to interviews, they will need to provide at least three professional references with titles, emails, and phone numbers (include at least one supervisory reference).
Questions? Contact: Kate O’Connor, PBS Wisconsin, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-262-5221; [email protected]