The Chief of Engineering and Production Technology is responsible for providing technology leadership, planning, management and overall supervision of all aspects of the PBS Wisconsin Engineering department to ensure high quality media production and delivery. Our ideal candidate demonstrates prior results in a broadcast engineering or media technology leadership role, has effective communication and interpersonal skills and maintains a detailed working knowledge of IT and broadcast systems and other technologies of a television station. The Chief of Engineering and Production Technology oversees PBS Wisconsin’s maintenance and technical production support teams; oversees equipment planning, purchasing and system integration; and works effectively with the transmission engineering team at the Educational Communications Board (ECB). This position reports to PBS Wisconsin’s Chief Operating Officer.
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Electronic Technology or related field preferred; equivalent of 4 years experience in broadcast engineering or media technology field required if no degree.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in television engineering, broadcasting or media production operations.
- In-depth knowledge and abilities in application of digital television systems including ATSC, 8VSB, and MPEG standards. Knowledge and understanding of video, audio and control system flow for a television broadcast and digital dissemination production facility.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and collaboration skills that actively support a productive, respectful work environment.
- Leadership skills and supervisory experience.
- Project administration, budget planning and purchasing skills.
- Experience with Information Technology hardware and software in a broadcast environment.
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations pertaining to broadcast compliance.
- Society of Broadcast Engineers certification.
- Knowledge/understanding of RF transmission systems and theory.
- Experience in public broadcasting.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create a vision for PBS Wisconsin’s technology future by identifying technology trends and opportunities that support PBS Wisconsin’s mission to boldly enrich, educate and entertain diverse audiences through the innovative use of media production, broadcasting and digital delivery technologies.
- Stay abreast of industry developments through careful curation of relationships with manufacturers, professional organizations, public media colleagues, broadcasting industry colleagues, researchers and other media technology leaders.
- Lead the planning, implementation and use of new production and delivery technologies.
- Work with PBS Wisconsin Senior Leadership to create and implement an integrated strategic, annual and long range engineering and production technology plan including staffing, budgeting and technology investments.
- Plan, design, purchase, maintain, evaluate and upgrade technical systems and facilities. Identify, research and resolve technical problems. Maintain technical standards and assure compliance with Federal regulatory agencies.
Engineering Staff Leadership
- Lead, manage and supervise PBS Wisconsin’s engineering staff. Create work plans and goals that align with PBS Wisconsin’s strategic priorities. Provide effective coaching, professional development opportunities and timely work performance feedback.
- Oversee technical operations of production and distribution equipment, systems and facilities.
- Support the continued delivery of high quality media and related content to broadcast television, online platforms and related digital services. Develop and monitor technical quality control procedures and standards.
- Cover hands-on production engineering shifts when necessary.
Budgets, grant applications, inventory
- Prepare and oversee annual department budgets and multi-year capital equipment plan.
- Prepare purchase requests, write bid specifications, evaluate bid responses and select vendors.
- Assist Grants Manager in the identification and development of technical specifications and supporting descriptions needed for equipment acquisition grants.
- Maintain written inventory of PBS Wisconsin production facility equipment including remote production truck. Work with ECB technical staff to assure proper asset management of WHA-TV transmitter equipment.
Technical consultation and compliance
- Provide technical information to department managers to facilitate their budget planning.
- Work closely and effectively with, and act as technical liaison between, PBS Wisconsin and:
- University Research Park (URP), WHA-TV’s transmission facility lessor;
- ECB technical staff charged with managing and maintaining transmission and distribution facilities for the PBS Wisconsin network including WHA-TV; and
- UW Facilities staff as needed for physical plant support.
- Create and maintain records and comply with pertinent state and federal law and regulatory agencies, including FCC, CPB, and other federal and state guidelines.
- Serve, or delegate to others to serve, as Chief Operator of WHA-TV.
- In conjunction with IT staff, assist with planning and implementation of computer hardware and software.
- Meet all administrative and production deadlines. Handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-based environment.
- As a senior manager, comply with the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence described in Ethical Guidelines for Editorial Staff found here: https://pbswisconsin.org/about/
- Demonstrate respect in all work relationships and interactions.
- Encourage and support an inclusive workplace environment by promoting engagement with diverse perspectives and experiences, including organizational decision-making and hiring.
We expect to pay in the 70s to 80s for a highly qualified candidate contingent on experience and qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by 12/11/19. The job number is 200144. The following must be received for your application to be complete: 1) Resume; 2) A cover letter describing how your experience relates to the job duties and minimum and desirable qualifications.
As applicants progress to interviews, they will need to provide at least three professional references with titles, emails, and phone numbers (include at least one supervisory reference).
Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, PBS Wisconsin, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-262-0477; [email protected].