Assists with the management of the operations for the PBS Wisconsin news department. Supervises broadcast and digital video content production and staff, provides editorial guidance, and may contribute content. Responsible for producing award-winning, statewide, weekly television and digital news analysis programs and projects that cover state issues and politics. Also responsible for shared oversight of the project websites. Produces other news and public affairs specials as assigned. This position reports to the News Director.
Bachelor’s degree required, journalism or related field preferred.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Minimum 4 years of leading a broadcast video news project or programs required. Experience managing a team of individuals with varying levels of experience preferred.
- Knowledge of best practices in editorial decision making and ethical journalism.
- Strong attention to detail with demonstrated excellent writing, grammar and proofreading skills. Knowledge of AP style.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work productively and successfully with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong knowledge of Wisconsin current events, politics and issues.
- Proven ability to work in both independent and collaborative settings.
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in producing video journalism.
- Understanding of best practices in producing digital journalism.
- Experience in public broadcasting.
- Supervise the PBS Wisconsin news reporters in collaboration with the News Director, providing editorial guidance while assigning and editing work in a diverse, inclusive work environment.
- Utilize high journalistic standards to oversee and produce deadline-driven broadcast news production and projects, as well as digital news articles, audio and video content that represent the full diversity of Wisconsin.
- Line produce live and prerecorded programs.
- Strategically develop and manage news projects, workflows and budgets, in consultation with News Director.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of issues, events and newsmakers across the state.
- Identify new and maintain existing working relationships with experts, state and federal elected officials and other newsmakers in related areas of news coverage.
- Closely collaborate with PBS Wisconsin’s social media and digital managers, Digital News Editor and News Director to create public interaction and dissemination of engaging content through social media.
- Collaborate with Wisconsin Public Radio, PBS Wisconsin Education team and other PBS Wisconsin content creators, to create journalism-related projects and coordinate production needs.
- Stay current on best practices in broadcast and online journalism and recommend ways to enhance PBS Wisconsin’s offerings.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Expected salary range for this position is $69,000 up to $75,000 for highly experienced candidates who exceed the qualifications. Actual pay will depend on experience and qualifications.
The occupant of this position is expected to comply with the Ethical Guidelines for PBS Wisconsin Editorial and Executive Staff found at www.pbswisconsin.org/about, as well as the UW Madison Code of Ethics.
This position requires the ability to travel – with occasional overnights – for work. The incumbent must also be available to work weekdays, some evenings and weekends as needed, in support of news assignments.
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration please submit:
- Letter of interest specifically addressing the type of experience you have and how it qualifies you for the position. Please describe your role in relevant work that contributes to your qualifications.
- Please provide one document with links to 1 journalistic video sample and 1 writing sample that demonstrate experience leading news teams and creating news issue content. Applicants moving forward in the interview process will need to submit further samples as the search process progresses.
- At least three professional references with titles, emails, and phone numbers (including at least one supervisory reference). References will not be contacted without providing you notice.
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by 10/8/21. The job number is 239574.
Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, PBS Wisconsin, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-263-0477; [email protected].