The Airwaves Editor/Publicist is primarily responsible for editing and producing the program guide and membership tool for PBS Wisconsin and its 70,000 members. Airwaves is published monthly, 12 times a year. This position will also manage and produce PBS Wisconsin’s biweekly enewsletter, highlighting programs, events, station news and more to a distribution list of nearly 50,000 subscribers. The Airwaves Editor works as part of PBS Wisconsin’s promotion department, taking on writing and other promotion duties, including project and event promotion.
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, English, Communications or related field.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Minimum two years’ full-time experience in copywriting, editing, marketing, publishing or journalism (any platform)
- Strong writing and editing skills
- High level of computer skills with common office applications
- Experience working with and managing email marketing software
- Experience working with and managing social media content, including common platforms like Facebook, Twitter and blogs
- Experience working in online environments, including content management systems and blogging platforms.
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment within and across organizational departments.
- Proven project-management skills in deadline-driven environments
- Superior proactive interpersonal oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of, or experience with, InDesign and other design software
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working with membership or consumer publications
- Experience writing and/or disseminating press releases and other publicity tools
- Interest or experience in public media
- Editing of Airwaves Member Magazine: Work collaboratively with supervisor and other departments throughout PBS Wisconsin to manage pre and post production process of the magazine. Develop production schedules, budgets, write editorial content and create promotion strategies to ensure that the program meets the needs of members and presents PBS Wisconsin in the best light possible. Work with graphic designer to ensure proper layout and design of magazine, manage and program information into concise, entertaining and informative program listings and write engaging feature articles, Q&As and more for inclusion in Airwaves magazine and other online and offline spaces. Work with outside printing and mailing vendors to ensure appropriate product is produced within the budgeted guidelines.
- Manage and produce PBS Wisconsin’s biweekly enewsletter, highlighting programs, events, station news and more to a distribution list of nearly 50,000 subscribers.
- Write and edit copy for the PBS Wisconsin Blog on both assigned and enterprise projects.
- Complete other program information-related tasks as part of PBS Wisconsin’s Promotion Department, including updating of online schedule in designated content management systems and other databases. Manage and edit online schedule listings and serve as onsite resource for PBS WISCONSIN program information.
- Perform other writing and promotion duties for other PBS Wisconsin projects as assigned by the Promotion Manager. Work closely with Communications Specialist and interns to complete writing and editing of publicity materials for assigned projects, including news releases, publications, promotional email, blog posts, other print pieces, special and promotional events’ supportive materials, Web communication and advertising.
- Work with promotion team to implement PBS Wisconsin’s social media goals, including researching and responding to social media tools and trends, evaluating how their uses align with PBS Wisconsin’s audience demographics and implementing new tactics to engage audiences through social media. Help shape strategies that best engage public broadcasting audiences.
- Work with Promotions Manager to research, plan and implement promotions events throughout Wisconsin on behalf of PBS Wisconsin and with partners and other collaborators.
- Comply with both the UW and PBS Wisconsin code of ethics for editorial staff: https://pbswisconsin.org/about/.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work products and in organizational interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships. Support an equitable, diverse and inclusive work environment.
Expected salary range for this position is $40,000 to $46,000. Actual pay will depend on experience and qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by December 10, 2019. The job number is 200909. All of the following must be received for your application to be complete:
- A detailed resume.
- A narrative (up to two pages) carefully detailing HOW your experience compares to the job duties, qualifications, functions and desirable functions for this position at PBS Wisconsin.
- Three writing samples that demonstrate your range (voice, subject, writing style, etc.) related to the principal duties of this job.
- Three samples of publications or work you have edited.
As applicants progress to interviews, they will need to provide three to five professional references with titles, emails, and phone numbers (include at least one supervisory reference).
Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, PBS Wisconsin, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-262-0477; [email protected].