Performs advanced accounting duties following generally accepted accounting principles and procedures for PBS Wisconsin and Wisconsin Public Radio, jointly known as Wisconsin Public Media (WPM), and non-profit organizations that support WPM: Friends of PBS Wisconsin and Wisconsin Public Radio Association. Prepares and reviews financial reports and assists with budgeting. Ensures the accurate recording and reporting of financial transactions. The position reports to the Director of Finance for WPM and is responsive to Friends of PBS Wisconsin Finance Manager
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Associate or Bachelor’s Degree required; Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or business preferred; CPA certification or eligibility preferred
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
– At least 2 years in a financial-related position with experience in 2 or more of the following: monthly financial statements, financial analysis, budgeting, full charge of general ledger, annual reporting, GAAP compliance, tax compliance, automated accounting systems, audit and account reconciliations.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required
– Strong communication skills required
– Experience with automated accounting systems required
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
– 2 or more years working in an accounting position for a non-profit entity or auditing non-profit entities;
– 2 or more years working in an accounting position for a university or governmental organization or auditing universities or non-profit organizations; or
– 2 or more years experience as a financial statement auditor or in preparing financial statements or support documents for auditors
- Organizes, prepares, and updates financial statements, monthly and year-end journal entries, accounts, ledgers, and reports for various financial needs within an automated financial system to ensure accurate recording and reporting of financial transactions
- Prepares and analyzes financial data, reports and records, identifies discrepancies, investigates, recommends, and implements solutions as needed
- Develops and maintains automated financial systems, recommending controls to ensure system reliability and data integrity
- Assists with accounting and reviewing reconciliations, journal entries, schedules, and reports
- Provides and prepares budgets and projections based on existing data and established policies and procedures
- Answers questions and provides accounting related information to internal and external stakeholders according to established policies and procedures
- Prepares and/or approves financial transactions and payments
- Assists with the preparation of required state and federal tax statements and other regulatory filings, including the IRS informational 990 tax returns
- Prepares schedules and supporting information and responds to auditor requests and questions
- Manages cash control at fundraising events
The occupant of this position is required to comply with the University of Wisconsin Madison and Wisconsin Public Media Ethical Guidelines for Editorial Staff: https://www.wpr.org/wpr-ethical-guidelines
This person is also required to occasionally work flexible and variable hours, including early morning, evening, and weekend hours during The Great Wisconsin Quilt Show and the Garden and Landscape Expo (2 weekends annually). Additionally, this position requires the ability to work at a computer and desk for long periods of time and in a temporary “work from home” environment.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by March 19, 2021. The job number is 231829. The following must be received for your application to be complete: 1) Resume; 2) A cover letter describing how your experience relates to the minimum and desirable qualifications as well as the principal duties. Specifically, provide an example(s) of how you have communicated financial information to a non-financial audience and how you have successfully accomplished a goal as you worked as part of a team. Also please describe your experience with automated accounting systems. 3) List of at least 3 professional references with titles, emails, and phone numbers, including at least one current or past supervisor.
Questions? Contact: Kate O’Connor, Wisconsin Public Media, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-262-5221; [email protected].