This position will help a student grow their graphic design skills and portfolio by working directly on a large variety of applicable work for print, digital, and broadcast content. As part of a creative design team, they will have the opportunity to give and receive feedback for their continued growth. This job will help to build teamwork and communication skills as they will be collaborating regularly across different units within the organization to create design work for the different departments’ needs. The role also provides an opportunity for a student to bring their unique perspective and voice to PBS Wisconsin while simultaneously learning from and with the diverse cultures and communities across the state.
The PBS Wisconsin Graphic Designer internship is designed for students currently enrolled in a two or four-year college or technical program, and is meant to prepare students of color, and those from other groups underrepresented in the design industry, for a successful career in graphic design.
PBS Wisconsin’s multifaceted Design Department creates graphic design, motion graphics, scenic design, animation and interactive design content across the PBS Wisconsin organization. The Graphic Designer intern will receive close supervision and coaching as a professional in graphic design, increasingly receiving more project responsibility as professional growth is demonstrated.
PBS Wisconsin believes it is critical to bring diverse viewpoints and perspectives into our team. We are committed to expanding the perspectives on our team through equitable, unbiased hiring processes, flexible hybrid work environments, and ongoing, open conversations and evaluations of inclusivity in our content and workplace.
- Be a part- or full-time student enrolled at a college/university, or technical/vocational program.
- Must have experience with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
- Demonstrate design knowledge and experience with layout, color, typography, and graphic elements.
- Experience working with photography and web assets is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with motion graphics, infographics, and kinetic typography is a plus.
- Graphic Design majors preferred, but not mandatory.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Creative and collaborative, with strong communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and meet deadlines.
POSITION SUMMARY/JOB DUTIES
- Design and produce communication and promotional pieces for print, digital and television production projects for PBS Wisconsin. This includes designing promotional collateral, environmental graphics and signs, and social media, web and production assets.
- Gain experience and training by collaborating with design professionals across graphic design, motion graphics, animation, interactive, and scenic design.
- Collaborate with teams across the PBS Wisconsin organization.
- Work with the Design Operations Manager to order print materials and manage print vendors.
- Organize and archive project files appropriately.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Apply by December 16, 2022 at https://studentjobs.hr.wisc.edu/cw/en-us/job/503720. The Job number is 503720. A completed application will include:
- A comprehensive resume
- A detailed cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications and why this internship meets your career development needs
- 3-5 graphic design work samples
- A list of two (2) professional references, including an email contact for each (references may be tied to your academic career)