This Financial Specialist/Finalist Specialist Senior provides support for financial activities within Wisconsin Public Media (WPM) at UW-Madison. WPM, in conjunction with the Educational Communications Board (ECB), manages Wisconsin Public Television (WPT) and Wisconsin Public Radio (WPR) and has an annual budget of over $25 million.
The position is core to most financial processes within WPM and, in coordination with other financial staff, assists and guides management and staff on the efficient and accurate processing of financial transactions in accordance with UW and other requirements. The position maintains and encourages financial practices that reflect strong internal controls and support decision-making. The position also provides limited financial support to the Wisconsin Public Radio Association and the Friends of Wisconsin Public Television. These organizations are publicly supported non-profit corporations whose purpose is to support WPR and WPT. This position reports to Public Media’s Director of Finance and performs work under limited supervision.
Please note that after November 4, 2019, Wisconsin Public Television will be known as PBS Wisconsin.
GOALS AND WORKER ACTIVITIES
- 20 % Financial control and reporting
- Develop maintain and apply a detailed understanding of applicable purchasing and transaction processing rules, regulations, processes and tools; provide guidance/counsel for management and staff to encourage efficient, timely and accurate processing of transactions.
- 60% Transaction processing
- Accurately review and process payments and transactions on the various systems and applications WPM utilizes. Create invoices as requested.
- 10% Financial Support for Related Not-for-profit Organizations
- Process, monitor and review transactions and budgets as requested.
- 10% Other
- Assist with monitoring various additional grants and funds for WPM, participate with staff budget development and monitoring as requested.
REQUIREMENTS/KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- A minimum of three years of financial experience; minimum of 1 year of financial experience in a university or governmental environment.
- Thorough knowledge of state, federal and university accounting and procurement rules and regulations. This could include experience with requisition development, purchasing card usage, accounts payable, accounts receivable and travel expense reporting.
- The ability to analyze and interpret rules and regulations and translate this information for non-financial managers and employees.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze and present financial information in a clear, understandable manner.
- Solid communication skills and the ability to maintain positive working relationships.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Access. Experience with the University of Wisconsin programs such as the Shared Financial System (SFS), the Wisconsin Data Mart (WISDM/WISER), is a plus as is the willingness and ability to learn new software.
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous experience in a state or UW financial position.
Standard hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am until 4:30 pm with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. Schedule may be flexible.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by December 2, 2019. The job number is 109876. All of the following must be received for your application to be complete: 1) Resume; 2) A cover letter describing how your experience and education relates to the job duties and minimum and desirable qualifications.
As applicants progress to interviews, they will need to provide at least three professional references with titles, emails, and phone numbers (include at least one supervisory reference).
Questions? Contact: Kate O’Connor, Wisconsin Public Media, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-262-5221; email@example.com.