The Media Production Specialist works as a member of the PBS Wisconsin Operations and Engineering teams providing technical and operational expertise related to complex live and pre-recorded studio and remote productions around Wisconsin. This includes working as a member of the production crew on the setup and operation of audio and/or video production equipment, as well as assisting with maintenance of broadcast and digital media production tools. As part of a multi-faceted media organization, this position reports to the Chief of Engineering and Production Technology and is additionally responsive to the Studio and Remote Production Manager.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- One year experience working in a professional media production environment in one or more of the following areas is required:
- Operating professional broadcast production equipment including video cameras, switchers, lighting instruments, microphones and/or related production gear.
- Performing setup and strike of television studio and location production elements including staging, lighting, cabling and broadcast production equipment.
- Working on live media productions that depend on tight deadlines and content delivery to audiences or stakeholders.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds, climb ladders and work safely on elevated surfaces; pull and install wiring. Visual acuity and dexterity to work on small electronic components.
- Strong organizational skills as evidenced by experience multi-tasking while maintaining accuracy, efficiency and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, work independently and work in teams.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel as productions warrant.
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working as a floor manager, assistant producer and/or assistant director on professional broadcast productions
- Experience directing multi-camera, live and recorded, broadcast productions.
- Experience maintaining or repairing video and audio production equipment.
- Experience with audio or video transmission equipment such as digital or IP based routers, patch bays or video conferencing hardware and software.
- Knowledge of Federal Communication Commission (FCC) broadcast production standards.
- Operate professional audio and/or video television production equipment including, but not limited to, switchers, studio cameras, camera control units (CCUs), audio mixers and other related production equipment in studio and on location.
- Participate in the setup and strike of studio and location production elements including staging, lighting, cabling and production equipment. This includes connecting, adjusting and troubleshooting complex audio and/or video equipment and related peripherals in various environments.
- Assist with testing and maintaining equipment; provide recommendations for alternative hardware and software to improve performance.
- Prepare studio and remote production equipment and locations for recordings and live productions.
- May work as Floor Manager, Assistant Director, Assistant Producer, or Director on broadcast and digitally distributed productions.
- Operate and manage live streaming hardware and software for online delivery of content to internet platforms.
- Perform routine quality assurance and assessment of completed programs to check video and audio levels, closed captioning and other measurable elements of station content.
- Provide technical support for Audio/Visual presentations made by PBS Wisconsin staff for internal meetings and external events.
Full time salary for this position is in the low to mid-$40,000’s depending on successful candidate’s experience and qualifications. This is a 50% position.
The occupant of this position is expected to comply with the Ethics for PBS Wisconsin Staff found at pbswisconsin.org/about/ as well as the UW Madison Code of Ethics.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing how your experience and skills relate to the Minimum Years and Type of Relevant Work Experience, and the Not Required but Desirable Qualifications listed for this specific position. Please also include a list of 3-4 references, with 1 being a current supervisor.
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by February 22, 2021. The job number is 231344.
Questions? Contact: Kate O’Connor, PBS Wisconsin, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-262-5221; firstname.lastname@example.org